1926 FORD MODEL T ROADSTER
Ford Motor Company billed the 1926 line of Model Ts, justifiably, as “The Improved Ford”, perhaps because Chevrolet’s slogan was “Superior". In any event, fatter tires were only the first of many changes on the 100 inch wheelbase 1926 Model T.
This 2-door, 2 passenger Roadster has a vertical L-head engine, 177 c.i.d, a 10 gallon tank, artillery wheels with balloon tires, and weighs 1655 pounds, Standard with the car was a starter and demountable rims. Original purchase price? $345.
This 1926 Ford Model T Roadster had a longer deck and opening for the driver’s side door. It was available in paint colors other than black – the owner of this Roadster ordered the Ford traditional black.
Bodies were attractively redesigned, fenders were new, running boards were lower and deeper, and chassis height was reduced by 1.5 inches.
Nickel plated radiator shells were standard on all closed body types, optional at a modest extra cost on open cars such as the Roadster. A hand-operated windshield wiper was a 50-cent option on open models – a nuisance at best and a menace at worst – for a mere $3.50 the 1926 Roadster buyer could have his car equipped with a vacuum-powered wiper, on the driver’s side only
The fuel tank was moved from beneath the driver’s seat to the cowl, greatly increasing the effectiveness of the gravity feed, and eliminating the need for the driver to get out of the car in order to have his tank filled.
The Model T employed some advanced technology. For example, its use of vanadium steel (an alloy). Its durability was phenomenal and many Model Ts and their parts are still in running order nearly a century later.
In the 1920s and early 1930s, 46% of the vehicles on the road were Model T Fords.
The Model T was Henry Ford’s 9th production model. Previous models were A, B, C, F, K, N, R and S.
In 2002, Ford built a final batch of six Model Ts as part of their 2003 centenary celebrations. These cars were assembled from remaining new components and other parts produced from the original designs. The last of the six was used for publicity in the UK.