1938 PACKARD CLUB SEDAN
Regarding this 1938 Packard Club Sedan, 16th Series, Model 1604, it was stated in October 2009, that “this car is one of only seven known survivors out of an original production run of 224”. And, one of them is here at the Boothbay Railway Village.
Model 1604 is powered by Packard’s Super Eight in-line 8 cylinder 320 cu. in. engine, has a Stromberg carburetor, 25 gallon fuel tank, fender wells, 6 wheels, trunk rack, Pelican emblem, center bumper guards, side-mount mirrors, and 134” wheelbase – the Super 8 motor has a cast iron cylinder head and cast iron cylinder bores bolted to an aluminum crankcase.
The body style is known as #1116, weight is 4600 pounds, and original purchase price was $2,990.
This Club Sedan has amenities such as an electric clock, cigar lighter, white wall tires ($23.50 for all six) and a guest speaker mounted in the center of the back of the driver’s seat to ensure perfect sound reception in the rear seat.
In 1938, Packard had a “bad idea” and used a decal on the cowl for the vehicle number and the decal “turned to dust”. Normally it would be stamped on a metal plate on the engine side of the cowl. Eight models were produced that year, with a total of 2,478 vehicles.
Club Sedans were considered a “bit of a premium” over the four-door sedan, and this model has been declared “a very worthy car – a bona fide classic per CCCA”.
Packard Motor Company of Detroit, Michigan started producing their automobiles in 1899, the Club Sedan was introduced in 1927. The brand continued on the market until 1958.