The Model Railroad Exhibit is under constant construction, portraying railroading in Maine during the 1950s—1960s. The current HO scale layout has been evolving since the fall of 2006 and will take several more years to complete at the current pace.
All of the work on the layout is done by volunteers, and it is funded by annual dues, donations and sales of donated model railroad equipment. The group is always interested in donations of model railroad layouts, locomotives, rolling stock, buildings, scenery materials, tools or reference materials. These items may be used on the Museum’s layout or sold at model train shows.
The Model Railroad Group meets year round. Please come and feel welcome. Contact the group for additional information or to make a donation.
- 46 x 20 foot layout
- 3.5 scale mile main line
- 600 feet of track and 80 turnouts
- Includes both standard and narrow gauge
- Represents railroading in Maine during the 1950s & 60s
- Housed in a replica of a historic Maine freight station
- Digitrax Super Chief digital command controls with radio throttles
- Turnouts are operated by Tortoise switch machines
- L-girder style benchwork
- Subroadbed is 3/4” plywood with cork roadbed and code 83 nickel silver track