Built in 1847 for $700 by Ephram Pinkham, the Boothbay Town Hall is an example of the Greek Revival style, with large corner pilasters and broad cornice moldings outside, and a vaulted ceiling inside. This style was popular in Maine from 1830-1860.
In this building, votes were cast for Presidents Lincoln, Roosevelt and Kennedy, as well as Maine Governors Joshua Chamberlain and Ed Muskie.
When Boothbay and Boothbay Harbor split into two towns in 1889, the final decision was made in Augusta – but many heated conversations took place here first!
Historically, the Town Hall has also been a place for fun, including basketball games starting around 1914.
Today, the Town Hall is the center of events and activities at the Museum, but it also continues to serve as a municipal building for the Town of Boothbay, highlighted by the Town’s annual meeting each May. During 2016, the Town Hall received a fresh coat of exterior paint and new granite entrance steps (a gift from J.C. Stone and the Maine Stone Workers Guild.)